Thursday, May 22, 2008

Big Move among other things.....


Hello Out There--

I know I have been quiet, I am the process of moving to Olympia, WA, and so I have been a little busy.

I ordered my colors for dyes, and decided on 1 oz containers. I am getting my license to do business in Washington mailed to my new address, and open a business account. My website is coming along great and I have a logo (as you can see above).

So I got a call from my Mom today and she said, "I sold some of your sock yarn!" and I said, "What are you talking about?" She said,"You know that yarn you dyed the other day that you sent to me to check out?" I said,"Sure, but that was for you to tell me what you thought of my colors! You sold it?" She said,"Actually no, I sold 3 more skeins of it, so you need to dye some more......" I always just dyed yarn for me when Mom wasn't using her studio, I never thought about selling it. I dyed yarns for me, Mom dyed yarn for customers.

I grew up with yarn and dye and left over dye water everywhere. I would come home and see what my Mom had dyed that day, and what colors were left over. I loved seeing what was left, because it gave me some constraints to work with to use up the left over dye. I ended up dying a lot of potlucks.

My Mom told me that she would knit me a "wonderful wallaby" if I dyed the yarn. Well that day there was a lot of red and yellow leftover, and the end result yarn was pretty orange, and I wasn't sure how much I liked it. However when it was done, I thought it was pretty cool looking. So I went to school the next day proudly wearing, and a guy I had a crush on told me I looked like a construction worker. I was mortified, I went straight home, and mixed up some violet dye and overdyed the sweater purple. My Mom just laughed. It turned out really well and I still wear my wallaby today, but it is getting pretty worn...Anyway, enough nostalgia.

I am opening my store that other people can have the same ease and freedom around dye I do. I don't agonize about colors, if I didn't like I over dyed it, started over, or gave away the yarn. Yarn and dye were easy to come by, so I didn't care if I screwed up yarn. I hope that yarn and dye will be more accessible now for you too.

Sometimes I will hear a story or see something that strikes me strongly color wise and I would try to picture how I would like it to look on yarn. What colors would I have to put to really bring out the intent of the situation or feeling.

I guess I will dye some more skeins in colors that I have done in the past for myself. I want to focus on getting my Indie Dyer Store running so I will only dye 20 skeins of each color. I am just not going to have time to do more than that right now.

Here are some of the colors that I am planning on reviving from my sketchbooks, and personal yarn stash. I will throw a couple new ones in to from some ideas that I have been toying with for a while. Well, we will see how much I like them in the real world and out of my head. I will put pictures up after I get sorted out from all of this moving.

Deep Sea - all the blues-turquoises- navy that make up the ocean
Fairy Tale - bright violet, emerald green, and sapphire to start, all the colors that make up a kings treasure chest or a the sheen on a dragon's scales
Paisley - various greens with gold flecks
Fire and Ice - icey blue and rusty streaks like a bonfire on a cold winter night

... these are just a few that have meaning to me and I personally like, so if you are interested in MY colors, please feel free to email me, I am going to ask around to see how much these sock yarns go for....

BUT if you are interested in blanks, they are on their way! I have my email list all ready to be fired up and sent out when I have the shopping cart set up. Not long now!

No comments: